Here Are Some Tips To Help You Through Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV is out today, and I’m sure many of you will be checking it soon. Our review for the game is up now, and although I enjoyed the game immensely, I did encounter a few things that increased the difficulty of the game during my playthrough. To help you fellow gamers out there, I have compiled this list of five important things to keep in mind as you go through the game.
1. Do not be afraid to lower the difficulty if you are experiencing a rough patch of the game. As I mentioned in my review, the game’s balancing is somewhat inconsistent, which leads to certain boss battles being brutally difficult. Luckily, there is an option to lower the difficulty at any time without penalty. I found myself doing this on more than one occasion to deal with specific bosses or areas in the game.
2. Fuse, fuse, fuse! Fusing demons is the backbone of Shin Megami Tensei IV. If lowering the difficulty didn’t help me defeat a certain boss, I often found that creating new demons did. Fused demons can carry over many of the skills that their material demons had, so that you do not lose any of your powerful skills in the process. Also, you can save your demons to the compendium for access later on, making it safe to experiment with fusion.
3. Do every sidequest that you can, as the rewards obtained from them are using extremely valuable and worth the trouble. Most sidequests will be difficult when you first get them, so you should avoiding attempting new quests until after you have gained a few levels. Rewards for sidequests range from key items to large amount of money, with rare and powerful weapons and armor thrown into the mix on some of the especially hard missions.
4. Invest in the Auto-Pinpoint app. Shin Megami Tensei IV allows you to purchase Apps with App Points that are earned every time you gain a level. Apps range from different interactions you can perform with enemy demons to the extremely useful Auto-Pinpoint. This app drastically changes the built-in Auto Battle command to target enemy weak points. So, instead of selecting Auto Battle and only allowing your characters to simply attack, they will use skills in accordance with known enemy weaknesses. This allows battles to go extremely quikly when you are simply trying to grind before a boss.
5. Talk to every new demon you encounter, and try your best to recruit them to your team. Even if the demon doesn’t look to be very useful, you never know what they will fuse into with the help of stronger demons. Even the weakest demons can go on to create some of the strongest with a little help. Also, you never know when you will encounter a boss that uses a specific element that that demon happens to resist or even reflect. In that case, breaking the weaker demon out may be worth the trouble of a slightly weaker party.